Morphett Hutchinson Precinct Upgrade
New Look Morphett Hutchinson Precinct
Council is undertaking the design and delivery of an upgrade to the Morphett Hutchinson Precinct to:
- Accommodate the major impacts of new retail development proposed for the vacant land.
- Implement outstanding recommendations of the Transport Master Plan.
- Reconstruct the road pavement in this precinct.
- Provide a much needed upgrade of the Morphett Hutchinson intersection.
- Improve the pedestrian environment including providing better connectivity to the Gawler Street Precinct.
Stage 2 Streetscape January - June 2014
Streetscape works will be undertaken January to June 2014
Stage 1 Road Reconstruction Sep - Nov 2013
Road reconstructions works will be undertaken September to November 2013.
Designs have progressed for the revitalisation and rearrangement of the intersection of Morphett and Hutchinson Streets with the object being to improve this important part of the town centre as well as improve the pedestrian linkages around this area.
The designs include provision for significant improvements to footpaths and road crossings. Four raised zebra crossings are proposed to be installed around the intersection to ease pedestrian movements between the towns retail developments. The footpaths and pedestrian crossings will give much improved access to a plaza area to be created on the wide roadside verge of Morphett Street, east of Hutchinson. Extensive landscaping, public art and tree planting will be carried out in this area as well as alongside the roads all the way up Hutchinson Street to Gawler Street.
The works are to be split into 2 main packages. The first package of work comprises the heavy civil engineering associated with road reconstruction, kerbing, lighting and underground services. This work is currently out to tender at the moment and it is anticipated that a contract will be awarded in early September. The tender documents prescribe a 10 week construction phase with construction activity completed before the Christmas shopping period commences in earnest in December.
The second package of work includes landscaping, footpath reconstruction and creation of the plaza area referred to above. This is intended to be under construction after Christmas and completed before the end of the current financial year.
Whilst construction will be programmed to minimise any impact on traffic flows, it is unfortunately unavoidable that there will be some delays to traffic and inconvenience to pedestrians at times.
Concept Designs Complete
Concept designs have now been completed for the Streetscape and Public Realm elements of this project.
Morphett Hutchinson Map
This map shows an overview of the priority work needed in the Precinct including:
- Improving the operation and safety of the Morphett Hutchinson intersection.
- Improving pedestrian connectivity by providing 5 new pedestrian crossings.
- Improving the streetscape and amenity of the Precinct through improved urban design elements including a plaza area and the addition of trees, landscaping, seating, a water feature and public art.
- Changing the current right of way to give the Morphett St West/ Hutchinson St South legs of the intersection priority.
- Upgrade of the Adelaide Rd/Morphett St junction to accommodate agreed bus routes.
- Upgrade of the Druids Ave/Cameron Rd junction to improve traffic flow around the Town Centre.
Morphett Hutchinson Intersection
Advice was sought from experienced consultant traffic planners on options for improving the Morphett Hutchinson intersection who advised that installation of either a roundabout or traffic lights at the intersection were not recommended:
- The cost of either a roundabout or traffic lights alone would be approximately $1,000,000 (including an additional $500,000 to move a trunk fibre optic cable).
- A roundabout would not be suitable for this central location.
- Installation of traffic lights would result in traffic speeds which are too high for the environment when lights are green.
Under the agreement Council entered into to facilitate the construction of the Dutton Rd Park n Ride, Council has an obligation to provide for the rerouting of buses to and from the City to use Morphett St instead of the current Druids Ave route.
The rerouting will move buses to a more central street which is better suited to this use. Changes to the Adelaide/Morphett junction will also be needed to cater for bus turning circles. The exact location of bus stops will be determined in the detailed design stage.
For more information please contact Council's Project Managers:Marc Voortman on 8393 6416 or David Morton on 8391 7272.