Local History Centre
You will find the Local History Centre in the Mount Barker Community Library. It is open to the public during the same hours that the main library is open. A large proportion of the collection is on open access and can be viewed during these hours. The whole collection is accessible by library staff at all times as required.
A Local History Officer is in attendance Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9am -5pm, if you need specific help. For this help it is advisable to phone ahead and book a time.
The Local History Centre
Mount Barker Community Library, 5 Dumas Street, Mount Barker SA 5251
telephone: 8393 6400
facsimile: 8393 6499
Monday 9am - 7pm, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9am - 5pm, Thursday 9am - 8pm, Saturday 9am - 4pm, Sunday + Public Holidays Closed
Local History Centre Collection
The Local History Centre contains an extensive collection of material of use to both local and family history researchers that relates to the area covered by the Mount Barker District Council.
The collection is searchable via the Local History Database.
Other records include:
• Books that relate to the Mount Barker District and surrounding areas. These are searchable via the library catalogue.
• District Registers for Mount Barker, Nairne and Strathalbyn.
• Courier Newspaper from 1880
• Vertical files of unpublished information
• School records
• Parish records (Catholic & Anglican)
• Archive of original material
State Resources are available and include:
• SA Birth, Death & Marriage index on microfiche
• SA Birth registrations 1842 - 1928
• SA Marriages registrations 1842 - 1937
• SA Deaths registrations 1842 - 1972
• Biographical index of South Australians 1836 - 1888
The Local History Collection provides an opportunity to appreciate the local area and the people, both past and present, and to preserve it for the future.
Local History Database
The Local History Centre Database contains the catalogue of all the items in the Local History Centre’s Collection. Images of photographs in the collection are also added when possible.
The Courier Newspaper Oct 1880- the present, has been indexed for any items relating to the area covered by the Mount Barker District Council. These abstracts are also able to be searched. There is a gap of years to be entered from 1975 - 1990 and they are constantly being added.
Contact the Local History Centre for further details of records yet to be verified as indicated in the search results.