Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility



Since 1 July 2018, one central database capturing all microchipped and registered dogs and cats, breeders and registration payments in South Australia was introduced.

Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) has replaced the 68 individual council registers and assists councils, shelters and the general public in reuniting lost pets with their owners.

All dogs over 3 months of age must be registered, or within two weeks of ownership. You can register your dog online with Dogs and Cats Online (DACO).

For more information about registering your dog visit dog and cat registration.

In a flat or unit, one dog

In a house, two dogs

Rural Property, three dogs and two working dogs

By-Law 5: Application for a permit to keep more than two dogs

By-Law 5 Dogs

For further information and a copy of the dispensation application please contact one of Council’s Animal Management Officers on 8391 7200 or email:

If you are the victim or have witnessed a dog attack:

  • Report the incident immediately to Council 8391 7200
  • Seek medical or veterinary treatment as a priority

Please note that if you contact Council’s after hour service, all information will be documented and someone will contact you within 24 hours. Alternatively download an incident statement below.

Dog Attack Incident Statement

Dog Attack Witness Statement

Further information regarding the process involving a dog attack and be found here.

Dogs are an important part of our community, however dogs that bark excessively can become a source of irritation for neighbours and others using the local environment. Our best friend can, if it barks continually can become an intrusion and create friction between neighbours. Neighbours can help each other to solve barking problems by communicating to each other their concerns and needs. Your neighbour may not even be aware that their dog is causing an issue.

‘Dealing with a Barking Dog Resource Kit and Complaint Form’ contains information for both owners and complainants:

Dealing with a barking dog resource kit and complaint form
Dog and Cat Board - Barking

A dog is considered to be 'wandering at large' if the dog is in a public or private place (i.e. shopping centre or Council streets and roads) without the consent of the occupier and nobody is exercising effective control of the dog by means of a physical restraint.

A dog is considered to be ‘wandering at large in a park’ if no person is exercising effective control of the dog, either

  1. By means of a physical restraint
  2. By command, the dog being in close proximity to the person and the person being able to see the dog at all times

If your dog is found to be wandering at large, it will be taken to our Hahndorf Pound. It will be held there for three days and if not collected, the pound will attempt to re-home it.

To collect your dog from the Pound, it will be necessary to call the pound on 8388 7514. You will need your driver's licence or some other form of identification that shows your current address.

Each dog will be charged a $65 impound fee. If the dog is also unregistered and over three months of age, it will also be necessary to register the dog before it is released.
Note: You may also receive a $210.00 fine for “Dog Wandering at Large.”

Please call 8391 7200 - If out of Council hours this number will be diverted to Council's After Hour Service.

To report a lost dog, please contact Council on 8391 7200 during business hours. We will search our register of dogs that we have in the Pound and our Lost Dogs Register to match you up with your lost pet.

Barka Park

Barka Park is the first dog park in Mount Barker which officially opened for ‘doggy’ business on in July 2015. For more information visit the Barka Park page.

The Glebe

The Glebe in Littlehampton has both on and off leash areas. View the map here.

Council's Dog Pound is located at 60 Martins Road, Hahndorf. Dogs will be available for collection between 10.00am and 4.00pm or by appointment by phoning 8388 7514.