What services do we provide?
Information and Referral to Carer Support Services
There are other services that assist carers in their caring role. Staff can provide information about what is available and referral to other agencies.
Other useful services for carers
Carers and Disability Link
Carers and Disability Link assists Carers of frail, aged residents and carers of younger people with a disability, living in the Adelaide Hills, Strathalbyn & District regions.
Many Carers experience isolation, depression and fatigue because of the constancy of caring, and many feel they are sometimes forgotten.
The friendly staff and volunteers at Carers and Disability Link understand and can assist you in identifying what your needs may be in maintaining your carer role.
Carers and Disability Link provides:
- Information,support and advocacy
- Support Carers individually, to assist them to balance their caring role equally between their own needs and those of the person they care for
- Carer support groups
7 Catherine St
Strathalbyn, SA 5255
Tel. (08) 8549 1299
Commonwealth Respite & Carelink Centre
Assist older people, younger people with a disability and their carers to remain living independently in their own homes by providing information about home care and support services available in the community.
The Centres also support carers to access respite services allowing them to have a break from their caring role.
Tel. 1800 052 222
Information, advice and referral service on concerns and issues affecting carers in their caring role; a range of printed materials on carer related issues, including booklets, brochures, kits and fact sheets; free carer support kit available in 13 different languages as well as a kit for Indigenous carers; young carer resources
South Australian Companion Card
Companion Card is a card issued to people with a permanent disability who require attendant care support which allows a companion to enter free of charge to participating venues and activities and travel free on AdelaideMetro buses.
In South Australia the Companion Card is free and is valid for five years.
Tel. 1800 667 110
Financial assistance and services are available if you provide care to someone who has a disability, illness or is frail-aged.
Tel. 132 717 for Carer payment and Carer allowance
Services for Carers with a Disability
Community Living Australia
Offer a range of programs for people with a disability and their carers in Mount Barker:
* Day Options Program: group activities provided in different community-based settings Mon - Fri 9:30am - 3:30pm
* Community Access Program and individual programs designed to assist people with independent living skills such as personal and social skills development, volunteering, cooking and budgeting
* In home and overnight respite
8 Stephen Street
Hills Community Options
Provide a range of services for people with intellectual disability with an aim for people to live and engage positively in the community.
* Day Options
* Tenancy Support
* Neighbourhood Links
* Leisure & Recreation
Family support and social opportunities for children and young people with a disability. Programs include a host program, recreational activities, youth groups, sibling support, and school holiday camps.
Family Day Care - HACC Respite Care Program
Day/overnight respite care provided in care provider's home. Services may vary depending on the availability of a care provider, the location and family need.
Carers of children up to the age of 18 with moderate to severe disabilities eligible for Carer Allowance and children with parents who have a disability.
Playgroup SA Inc. - Supported Playgroups Program
Carers Mediation and Counselling Service - Uniting Communities
Provides counselling, family mediation, information and referral and group support programs.
Mediation available to assist families to resolve conflicts that may arise within the family. Support groups are encouraged and facilitated for individuals facing similar issues.
Tel. 1800 864 846
MyTime groups provide free local support for mums, dads, grandparents and anyone caring for a child with a disability or chronic medical condition.
Services specifically for carers of an aged person
Wunderlea Day Care
An activity program for older people living in the Mount Barker District Council. Activities include craft, leisure, recreational, and social. Dementia specific program available.
Wellington Rd, MOUNT BARKER SA 5251
Tel. (08) 8393 1850
Services specifically for carers of someone with dementia
Alzheimer’s Australia SA
- Carer education and support program - courses are run regularly throughout the state. General support groups meet in metropolitan and country locations
- Counselling by phone or face-to-face for people living with dementia, their carers, families and friends and anyone who is impacted by dementia through National Dementia Helpline 1800 100 500.
- Dementia Link: Support for people with dementia and their carers during or after diagnosis. Assistance in navigating services and connecting them with the relevant services where needed. Support for independence and resilience for people with dementia and carers, reducing stress and confusion as memory changes and other symptoms become apparent.
- Help sheets: on topics relating to dementia and caring, many in other languages.
- Safe Return Program in conjunction with the South Australian Police: a 24-hr service that assists in the identification and safe return of individuals with dementia who wander and become lost
27 Conyngham St, GLENSIDE SA 5065
(08) 8372 2100
Behaviour Management Advisory Service
Trained staff provide specialist information on dementia, practical information and management strategies for behaviours of concern free of charge.
Tel. 1800 699 799
Willow Fern Respite Cottage
‘Willow Fern Cottage’ located in Mount Barker will provide day or night respite for carers of people with dementia living in the Adelaide Hills region. The cottage is open Tuesday - Friday.
20 Railway Tce, MOUNT BARKER
Tel (08) 8391 5047
A program which is designed to provide a regular break to family carers of people with dementia and challenging behaviours. Clients may access up to six hours per week.
The program assists carers to enjoy some leisure time, alleviating stress that may be associated with their caring role.
Tel (08) 8391 5047
For further information contact:
Community Programs Unit
6 Dutton Road
PO Box 54
MOUNT BARKER SA 5251
Tel (08) 8391 7234
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment:
- Contact us through the National Relay Service website
- Give the National Relay Service our number – 8391 7234
For more information, visit: http://www.relayservice.gov.au/
The Community Programs Unit of Mount Barker District Council acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We aim to deliver our services in a way that respects and welcomes diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences.