Click here to learn more including changes to Council Services

Dismiss alert

Cudlee Creek Fire Recovery Information & Quick Links

7th September 2020

The communities affected by the 2019-20 Bushfires at Cudlee Creek are now moving towards a new normal. If you’re a member of the community, you can find information and services including grants and assistance at the Cudlee Creek Recovery Hub that can help you, your family and your business in your recovery journey.

Information is also shared by SA Recovery via Facebook.

Recovery Centre

Fabrik Arts and Heritage in the Old Woollen Mill

1 Lobethal Road, Lobethal
Phone: 0418 213 269
Monday to Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: Closed

Appointments Monday – Friday outside of hours can be arranged by request if you are not able to visit during business hours.

Business Support

Small Business Grants

The Federal Government announced a new small business bushfire support package in the form of grants, low-interest loans, and the extension of lodgement deferrals.

Small businesses impacted by the bushfires will be afforded up to $50,000 in tax-free grants and loans of up to $500,000 for business that have 'suffered significant asset loss or a significant loss of revenue.' The loans will be up for 10 years and set at 50 per cent of the 10-year Commonwealth government bond rate-currently 0.6 per cent. There will also be a repayment holiday of up to two years, with no interest accruing during this period.

For a complete list of support services provided by the Federal Government at this time, visit

Tax Relief for Bushfire impacted Businesses

The ATO will now extend its automatic deferral program for those in impacted postcodes to 28 May 2020 to lodge and pay business activity statements and income tax returns.

Impacted businesses that pay their Pay-As-You-Go instalments quarterly are also allowed to vary these instalments to zero for the December 2019 quarter and claim a refund for any instalments made in the September 2019 quarter.

The government’s latest announcement comes after Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, and Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business Senator Michaelia Cash hosted a small business round-table with small business peak bodies, industry groups, and representatives to discuss a range of initiatives to support businesses impacted by the bushfires.

The government will also establish a small business bushfire financial support hotline, staffed by small business specialist financial counsellors who will be able to provide information on the assistance and support available to small businesses in bushfire affected regions.

Funding for 10 additional financial counsellors with the ability to provide advice to around 100 small businesses a day will also be provided.

The South Australian Government, through Green Industries SA (GISA), is coordinating the waste management response to the Cudlee Creek bushfires. Please refer to their website for a comprehensive summary of what to do and to register your waste needs, in addition to the Council specific information below.

Residents with property damage impacted by the most recent bushfires, please view the Valuer-General’s communication at

Residents with property loss/damage are encouraged to make contact with the Office of the Valuer General (OVG) to advise of and object to the OVG regarding their valuation.

Office of the Valuer-General’s contact details are as follows:

Phone: 1300 653 346
Customer support
Post: GPO Box 1354, ADELAIDE  SA 5001

Clearing your property, replacing or realigning fencing and replacing access or vehicle tracks may be impacted by the Native Vegetation Act 1991.

For example, in regards to burnt trees, many will reshoot and recover after a fire. Where there is no immediate safety risk to people and property, burnt paddock trees should be retained. If there is a safety risk, a report from a plant health expert is required to be provided to the Native Vegetation Council for approval. If a burnt tree is posing a safety risk or inhibiting access you can remove limbs of a burnt tree or the whole burnt tree (where necessary) if it is within 10m of a house or building.

For more detailed information including FAQs, visit

Asbestos: Please organise a licensed removalist to dispose of any materials containing asbestos. Note there are no safe levels for asbestos, asbestos can cause cancer and chronic respiratory diseases. For more information

Other hazards to look out for: Firefighting efforts may have resulted in flame retardant and other slippery materials in and around your property. Tread carefully and be mindful of ground conditions. If you have a septic tank, it may have been weakened in the fire so do not drive or walk over it.

During a bushfire, large volumes of water, either on its own or mixed with foams or fire retardants, can be used to put the fire out. Often, this firewater can find its way to local waterways and impact water quality.

Ash particles may still be present in your home, even after the smoke has gone. Avoid stirring up ash and dust as much as possible. Ash from timber treated with a preservative call Copper Chrome Arsenate (or CCA) contains arsenic which is hazardous if swallowed by young children, pets or grazing animals.

Please be cautious of LPG gas cylinders, medication and exposed chemicals including garden, farm and other general chemicals such as cleaning products.

The Federal and State Governments will be covering the clean up costs to help South Australians impacted by the bushfires. The clean-up and debris removal program will make sure farmers, households and businesses get the help they need.

Anyone affected by the bushfires who needs help with the clean-up of debris is encouraged to register their needs through the Green Industries SA website at

For more information click on Media Release - Clean up help for bushfire-affected South Australians (12 February 2020)

Kerbside waste services have returned to normal. Should you experience any delays, missed services or require a replacement kerbside bin please contact Council on 8391 7200.

Three (3) tip passes per property will be provided, upon request, to all properties within the fire scar area regardless of damage. Each voucher entitles the resident to dispose of one trailer load of domestic general waste or green organic waste (loads limited to 8 x 5 trailer) free of charge. Mixed loads are accepted with the request that separation is as easy as possible upon disposal.

Vouchers are not intended for items covered by insurance, e.g. damaged/destroyed dwellings, structures, and other large assets and will not cover tyres, asbestos, mattresses, large blocks of concrete, large logs, or permapine posts (CCA timber).

Tip passes are accepted at Windmill Hill Transfer Station, 1 Windmill Lane, Totness.

Opening times are printed on passes. Passes need to be handed to gate attendants at time of waste delivery.

To request your tip vouchers

Residents who live in the Cudlee Creek fire scar area should call Council on 8391 7200.Passes can be collected at Local Government Centre, Mount Barker Homemaker Centre (6 Dutton Road, Mount Barker), Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm or mailed to your postal address. Please provide the following details to obtain a pass:

  • Name
  • Property address
  • Contact number
  • Postal address for vouchers (if required)

YCA Recycling will accept plastic tanks and plastic irrigation pipe free of charge under the following conditions:

  • Tanks/pipes cannot be contaminated with excessive dirt, timbers etc. (Melted plastic without contamination is acceptable)
  • Photos of the plastic waste should be emailed to marked "Attention: Gary". Gary will provide confirmation of drop off details after assessing the photos. Upon confirmation, residents can take the plastic waste to YCA Recycling, 16-20 Johannsson Road, Wingfield.

Plastic tanks and pipes that are not suitable to be recycled via YCA Recycling will need to be disposed of via the methods below:

  • Windmill Hill Transfer Station, 1 Windmill Lane, Totness.Call the Transfer Station on 8388 1099 to discuss any fees and suitable drop off times before taking waste.
  • Brinkley Waste and Recycling Facility, 527 Brinkley Road, Murray Bridge.Call the Facility on 8532 6385 to discuss any fees and suitable drop off times before taking waste.

Free clean green waste drop off days have been scheduled at Windmill Hill Transfer Station during 2020 for all residents. Click here for dates and more details on what can be disposed.

Copper chrome arsenate (CCA) treated timber is wood that has been treated with a preservative containing copper, chromium and arsenic. Please be careful when handling CCA treated timbers.

Green Industries SA (GISA) is coordinating collections and drop off sites for CCA timber from fire affected properties to take CCA timber to landfill.

Bushfire affected residents who have CCA timber (posts only, not ash) can access free disposal vouchers from the Local Recovery Centre at Fabrik Arts and Heritage in the Old Woollen Mill, 1 Lobethal Road, Lobethal.

These vouchers are for the disposal of fire damaged CCA (permapine) posts and logs only. No other waste materials will be accepted and you must have a voucher to dispose of CCA timber.

The opening hours and location for drop-off is printed on the vouchers. Vouchers need to be handed to gate attendants at time of CCA timber waste delivery.

To collect your free CCA timber drop-off voucher, visit the Local Recovery Centre, 1 Lobethal Road, Lobethal.

Ash from burnt CCA posts will not be accepted.

Refer to the GISA website:

Vouchers are not intended for items covered by insurance, e.g. general waste, damaged/destroyed dwellings, structures, and other large assets and will not cover tyres, asbestos, mattresses, large blocks of concrete, large logs, chemicals, e-waste or CCA ash. For general waste disposal you may obtain a tip pass from council for disposal at Windmill Hill Transfer Station – for more information go to Free Tip Passes at Windmill Hill Transfer Station.

Ash from burnt CCA posts

Ash formed through combustion of CCA treated timber contains extremely high concentrations of arsenic and chromium, with some arsenic. Ash presents a high potential risk to human health through inhalation, can contaminate soil, and can also potentially pollute ground water. Ash contamination can make the land unsuitable for agricultural application and be attractive to stock due to its salty taste, presenting a risk to stock health.

If you have ash from CCA-treated timber please contact GISA and register your waste needs to arrange for GISA to safely remove it.

It must be double-bagged, sealed and taken directly to a licenced landfill. When removing CCA treated timber ash, wear protective gloves, disposable overalls, and a P1 or P2 face mask (also known as N95 masks) to minimise exposure to dust. Do not bury CCA treated timber ash.

Keep children and pets away from CCA-treated timber ash until it is removed and always wash your work clothes separately after cutting or sanding CCA-treated timber. Don’t use CAA-treated timber sawdust in mulch, compost or animal feed.

For further information on handling CCA timber go to

Alternatively, this CCA post waste can be disposed of at the following locations (fees apply):

Residents with damaged steel on their properties are invited to dispose of domestic quantities for free at the Scout Recycling Centre, next to the Windmill Hill Transfer Station.

Sims Metal has also offered fire-affected residents a 10-40m3 skip bin at no delivery/collection cost, with payment for metal collected. Click here for a full list of what is accepted.

Two days' notice is required for skip delivery. Please call Matt Searcy to make your booking: 0401 146 794.

Bore water for rural residents and farmers

One of Council’s priorities to assist bushfire efforts has been the provision of essential items such as water. We will supply bore water (for livestock) to rural residents and farmers who have been impacted by the fires including those outside of the Mount Barker District Council area.


  1. For access to bore water, an appointment must be scheduled with the Mount Barker District Council. Please call 8391 7200 (all hours).
  2. Only people who have been directly affected by the fires can access bore water.
  3. Bore water is only to be used for livestock watering.
  4. Users of this service are solely responsible for providing a suitable vehicle and or container to safely and legally transport water or engage a cartage contractor.
  5. Council takes no responsibility for bore water quality.
  6. This service is required to comply with all relevant authorities (including EPA).


  1. The property must be within the area affected by the fires.
  2. The property must not be connected to a reticulated water supply network.


To arrange an appointment please call Council’s Customer Service on 8391 7200 (all hours) and a Council staff member will schedule a suitable collection time.

During office hours (9am-5pm) all enquiries regarding the Bushfire Relief Bore Water Allocation can be made to Council’s Maintenance and Operations Department on 8391 7200 or email

Application form to have water used by the CFS replenished by SA Water

Essential Water Replenishment Request Form

Email your completed form to: