Potential Power Outages During Summer - Prepare now for the Bushfire Season
As we prepare for another summer and bushfire season, it's important to be ready for the potential of a power outage occurring during extreme weather.
Bushfires pose a very real danger in South Australia and have the potential to disrupt many essential services that we all need and take for granted. There are several key things that you should consider in preparing for the bushfire season:
- If power is lost during extreme weather conditions, particularly in a bushfire situation, there is potential for an extended outage before electricity supply can safely be restored
- Ensuring you have a battery-powered radio and always keep your mobile phone and other devices charged, so you can stay in communication if you lose power
- Be aware that solar PV panels will turn off if there is a loss of the grid-supplied electricity
- Develop your bushfire plan if you live in a bushfire risk area, or an area served by power lines that run through bushfire risk areas, you always need to consider back-up electricity generation.
- Consider investing in a car charger for your mobile phone
- Apply now to receive updates through the SA Power Networks free SMS service P@MP (Power at my place) by calling 13 12 61 or register for free at www.sapowernetworks.com.au and select the outages option.
For assistance in preparing an emergency or backup plan to manage these challenges it's recommended to contact the Red Cross on 1800 188 071 to obtain a copy of their emergency REDiPlan or www.redcross.org.au/get-help/community-services/telecross/telecross-redi
For more information regarding emergency management, visit the emergency management page.