Morphett Street and Intersection with Walker Street, Mount Barker
Changed Traffic Conditions
The safety improvements for the intersection of Morphett Street and Walker Street include the following changes to traffic movements:
- Vehicles on Walker Street are only able to turn left onto Morphett Street
- Vehicles travelling on Morphett Street continue to be able to turn left or right into Walker Street
- The car park access to the Woolworths/Fruit and Vegetable shop on Morphett Street has been changed from an entrance to a left turn only exit
All road users are advised to be aware of the changed traffic conditions.
28 May 2015
Work to change the road priority at the intersection, including kerb realignment, installation of central median kerbing and pedestrian crossing and additional lighting has been completed ahead of schedule.
Monitoring of the intersection will be undertaken over the next three months to review motorist behaviour in the new conditions.
The community's patience and cooperation while the successful completion of this project was delivered has been very much appreciated.
Construction to commence
5 May 2015
Council has awarded the tender to construct the safety improvements on Morphett Street and at the intersection with Walker Street.
Construction is expected to commence the week of 11 May and be complete by end of June 2015.
Work will primarily be undertaken at night to minimise disruption to the adjacent businesses and the community.
In 2009, the Transport Master Plan identified the development of Morphett Street as a corridor for public transport and pedestrian connectivity in the town centre and identified the need for the Morphett/Walker intersection to be upgraded. The endorsed Town Centre Strategy also identifies Walker Street as an important pedestrian link to Gawler Street, requiring a safer intersection and pedestrian crossing for Morphett Street near Walker Street.
Detailed survey and design work have been undertaken and include:
- kerb and gutter realignment on the four corners of the intersection
- improved lighting including relocation and additional light poles
- pedestrian kerb ramps and crossing point
- linemarking improvements to include a painted median
- central median kerb to direct traffic flow
- changes to lane priorities