Pests and Vermin



Environmental Health Officers can provide advice on the identification and possible control of vermin around the home. Where it can be shown that the source of the vermin is the keeping of poultry or birds, action can be taken under the Local Government Act to control the source of the infestation. If it can be shown that the source is perhaps the condition of a property, then action can be taken under the Public and Environmental Health Act.

Contact the Environmental Health Officer on 8391 7200.


European Wasps

Council provides a free eradication program to all landholders. In order for the nests to be destroyed you need to locate the nest. Tracking and finding wasp nests is the responsibility of the landholder.

Once the nest is located contact Council's Contractor Murray Pest Control on 8398 5011.

For further information on European Wasps go to:

> Local Government Association website

back to top 


Fire Ants

For further information on Fire Ants ring the SARDI Call Centre on 1300 666 010 or go to:
> SARDI's website – urban pests 


Fruit Flies

Fruit flies are the world's worst fruit pest. They appear on nearly every continent and millions of dollars are spent annually on their control and eradication.

South Australia is the only mainland state free of fruit flies. Outbreaks can only occur if travellers carry infested fruit and vegetables across our borders from other States or if infested commercial consignments are introduced. The movement of produce into South Australia is restricted to commercial shipments that are certified free of fruit fly.

Our fruit fly awareness program focuses on community participation. We urge residents and visitors to the state not to bring fruit and vegetables across state borders into South Australia and to report all maggots found in produce to the Fruit Fly Hotline 1300 666 010.

For further information on fruit flyies go to: 
> PIRSA website

back to top



Living with Possums in South Australia

For further information on Possums go to:



Rats and Mice

Additionally, Council has a contract arrangement with Adams Pest Control for the regular inspecting and baiting of creeks and reserves to control rats and mice. Should an individual be bothered with a mouse or rat problem, arrangements can be made for Adams Pest Control to visit their property and bait appropriately. All you need to do is contact Council's Customer Service Team who will book an appointment for you with Adams Pest Control. Adams Pest Control visit our Council area every first and third Wednesday of each month. Rats & Mice

Contact Mount Barker District Council's Customer Service at 8391 7200.

back to top 

6 Dutton Road, Mount Barker SA 5251
T 8391 7200