Heritage Incentive Scheme
What is the Heritage Incentive Scheme?
The Heritage Incentive Scheme (HIS) is designed to assist residents with the conservation of their heritage listed property (or properties). The HIS offers:
- The waiving of development application fees for conservation works.
- Free professional heritage advice from Council’s Heritage Adviser. Advice is available for a range of projects such as:
restoration of stonework, verandahs, roofs and fencing, general information on suitable materials, colours and construction techniques.
- A grants scheme involving a subsidy of up to 50% (up to a maximum of $3,000) of the total cost of conservation works to assist owners in conserving heritage listed properties.
What is the criteria for the grant?
Applications for funding are assessed by the following:
- The application has to be for conservation works which contribute to the heritage value of the property.
- Contribution to, and enhancement of the character and heritage significance of the Historic Conservation Area.
- Use of traditional design, materials and methods applicable at the time of construction.
- Residential, commercial or community properties are eligible.
- Buildings that have received maximum funding are not able to apply again for 3 years.
- Funding will not be allocated for internal work or additions.
- Electrical or plumbing work is not eligible.
Who is eligible for the Scheme?
Owners of State and Local Heritage Places and of Contributory Items and other historic buildings within a Historic Conservation Area.
- All applications for the HIS must have all work completed by early June of the year submitted. Applications received after 1st May will be considered in the following Financial Year commencing 1st July.
- Council will determine allocation of funds by 31st January
- Works to be completed and paid receipts to Council by 31st May
Application Form - Heritage Incentive Scheme Application Form(156 kb)