Click here to learn more including changes to Council Services

Dismiss alert

e-Waste and Hazardous Waste

Residents can dispose of domestic quantities of waste oil, car and truck batteries at the Windmill Hill Transfer Station. No other hazardous wastes can be accepted at this facility.

Community Chemical and Paint Drop-off Centres

You can now take your unwanted paint and household chemicals to a centre nearest you. If you previously used the Dry Creek depot, this is now closed. To find out more, including the locations in South Australia, visit

Please see below for information on the disposal of other hazardous wastes:


Demolition/Removal: Department of Administrative and Information Service (DAIS), Workplace Services

Transport and disposal: Environment Protection Authority, Adelaide Hills Council’s Healthfield Resource Recovery Centre and the Woodside Transfer Stations are licenced to accept asbestos


Household: local battery retailers also generally recycle unwanted domestic batteries.

Click this link to find a battery drop-off location or collection service near you:

Mobile phone: most mobiles phones and accessories can be recycled at a number of locations including the Mount Barker District Council Office at Level 1, 6 Dutton road, Mount Barker. Please click here to find your nearest recycling location

> Mobile Muster's website

Lead acid: most scrap metal dealers, local recycling depots and new battery wholesalers/retailers will take back used lead acid batteries. Council’s Windmill Hill transfer station also accepts used lead acid batteries.

Dry cell: household quantities of standard alkaline batteries may be disposed of as into the domestic waste bin.

Boat Flares, Explosives, AmmunitionHand in at your local police station. 

The ChemClear Program assists with the Clean-up of agricultural and veterinary chemicals.  ChemClear travels around the state collecting unwanted and out of date agvet chemicals.

To register your unwanted chemicals for ChemClear's next run, call the hotline on 1800 008 182 or visit


DrumMUSTER is an ‘Agsafe’ national program for the collection of used farm chemical containers. Council has a drumMuster Collection Depot located at the Windmill Hill Waste Transfer Station, Nixon Rd, Hahndorf.

> drumMUSTER website

Eligible Containers

Eligible containers are larger than 1 litre and up to 205 litres non returnable containers and will carry the drumMUSTER eligible container logo. This logo may be applied to the container either as a sticker, printed as part of the label or embossed into the container material. drumMUSTER can only reimburse Council’s for the collection of ‘levy paid’ containers carrying the drumMUSTER eligible container logo. Some manufacturers have not joined the program and subsequently their containers are not part of drumMUSTER. All containers disposed at the Transfer Station must be triple-rinsed and prepared in accordance with information provided by ‘Agsafe’. Please contact Council for more information.

e-WasteDo you have an old TV or computer you need to dispose of?

If you have an old TV or computer or other E-Waste items you need to dispose of you can drop them into the Windmill Hill Waste Transfer station for recycling free of charge, all year round.

Council has partnered with TechCollect through the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme to provide this service to our community.

Whats's accepted for Recycling at Windmill Hill?

  • Personal and laptop computers and all cables
  • Tablets, notebooks and palmtops
  • Computer monitors and parts (eg internal hard drives and CD drives)
  • Computer peripherals and accessories (eg mice, keyboards, web cameras, USBs and modems)
  • Printers, faxes, scanners and multi-functional devices
  • All televisions
  • Whitegoods, including fridges and washing machines
  • Old mobile phones.

Any other electrical equipment may incur a fee.

For additional information on the Transfer Station, including opening hours, please click here.

For additional information on E-waste recycling please visit

Fluoro tubes & globes All Household globes, tubes and CFLs can be recycled for free at Banner, Mitre 10 and True Value hardware stores (i.e. energy saving lamps, find your nearest store here.
Household Chemicals

To dispose of household chemicals, refer to

LPG gas cylinders

If empty, remove valve and dispose of as scrap metal. Council’s Windmill Hill Transfer Station accepts empty LPG gas bottles as well as most LPG retailers. If the cylinders still contains gas contact the Environment Protection Authority or a LPG retailer.

Swap N Go will replace out of date gas bottles for in-date bottles filled with gas.

Motor Oil Used motor oil (domestic only): is accepted at Council’s Windmill Transfer Station. (08) 8388 1099
Paints and adhesives (including varnishes and stains) 

Solid paint and adhesives/empty containers (formerly containing paints/adhesives): can be disposed into the domestic waste bin. Clean, empty paint cans may be disposed of into the recycling bin.

Liquid paint: Small quantities of water based paint can be dried out in the tin and disposed of into the domestic waste bin.

Windmill Hill Transfer Station is now a Paintback collection site which is able to accept unwanted paint and packaging for free. Paintback accepts up to 100 litres per vehicle per visit that's secured in containers of 20 litres or less. The system applies to both residential and trades and paint can be dry or liquid. For more information on Paintback visit


Unwanted or expired pharmaceuticals should be handed in at your local chemist. Most chemists participate in the Overseas Pharmaceutical Aid for Life (OPAL) scheme which ensures discarded pharmaceuticals reach overseas countries in need, or are disposed of appropriately.

Smoke Detectors 

These can be placed in the waste bin see the EPA website for more details EPA website

Tyres Council's Windmill Hill Transfer Station accepts waste tyres. Prices vary depending on tyre size. Pricing information can be viewed in the Fees and Charges Schedule
Yellow halton fire extinguishers

These contain BCF’s (bromofluorcarbons) – take to your local fire station or fire equipment suppliers.

X-rays recycling

Unwanted X-rays can be taken to the Windmill Hill Transfer Station free of charge.