Click here to learn more including changes to Council Services

Dismiss alert

Information for Food Premises


All food businesses are required to notify Council of their activities under the Food Act 2001.

Notifications can be submitted by completing the following online form Food Business Notification - online form

For more information, please contact Council's Environmental Health Officers on 8391 7200 or email

Food Safety Training

Food handlers are not required to have formal qualifications in food handling; however, food businesses must ensure that staff who handle food or who supervise this work have skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene commensurate to their duties. This can be achieved through in-house training, provision of food safety information, and online or face to face courses.

Face to face food safety training sessions are run by council in conjunction with TAFE SA several times a year. These will be advertised on council’s website and social pages as dates are confirmed. These are accredited courses and a fee applies for participation. Please contact us should you wish to be placed on the waiting list for our next training session.

The following courses are available online free of charge for both commercial and volunteer food handlers:

To access the course go to:

Further information on the skills and knowledge requirements for food handlers can be found at:

Starting A Food Business

All food businesses in South Australia must notify their local council of their activities under the Food Act 2001. The proprietor of the business is required to provide written notification (using the approved form) before commencing business activities. There is no charge for notification, however penalties may apply should notification not be received by council.

The Food Business Notification (FBN) Form can be accessed here. Once completed, the form is sent to SA Health for processing. You will receive confirmation of your notification with a FBN Certificate including a unique FBN number. It is important to keep this certificate and number as proof of notification.

It is recommended that you contact council’s EHOs to arrange a pre-opening inspection of your premises prior to conducting any business operations. This provides opportunity for you to receive advice on the fit out and intended operations of the premises, as well as ensuring you are complying with the requirements of the Food Safety Standards prior to operation, potentially saving time, money and hassle in the future.

Once your business is operating council EHOs will conduct routine inspections to ensure compliance with the relevant food safety legislation, and to provide ongoing advice and education. The frequency of inspections is based on the risk classification of the business (determined by the types of food being handled and the compliance history of the business). Inspections may also be conducted to investigate complaints made in relation to the food business. Please note that inspection fees apply. Please see council’s Register of Fees and Charges for current inspection fees.

The Department of Health

Inspection Fees

Councils now have the option to impose fees for the inspection of food premises and transport vehicles.

Councils fees and charges schedule lists the food business inspection fees.

Increased Penalties

The penalties under the Food Act 2001 are significantly higher than the penalties under the 'old' Food Act 1985.