Click here to learn more including changes to Council Services

Dismiss alert

Social Options

What Does the Social Options Provide?

For some people it can be difficult to get out and about.  Mount Barker District Council offers a range of social activities and other services to support residents to stay active and connected to the community.  Eligibility criteria apply.

Social Options Pamphlet

Social Options Pamphlet Large Print

What to do in the Mount Barker District for Seniors

Community Connect

Be supported short term by a volunteer to connect to an activity of interest, it may be with a service group a club or hobby group or even a set activity.


All outings require a booking and seats may also be limited depending on eligibility criteria. You can ask to be added to the mailing list for any of the outings.

Wallis Cinema Outing

Once a month on a Wednesday, nostalgic movie buffs can be picked up at their door or meet us at the Wallis Cinema in Mt Barker to enjoy a morning tea and a quiz by popular personality Willsy before settling in to a nostalgia movie of Willsy’s choice.  The movie is followed by lunch at Auchendarroch. The occasional new movie is also included on an ad hoc basis.

Coffee Clubs

Smaller groups that meet for a coffee and a chat at various venues on a fortnightly basis.

Information Session

Every month on a Wednesday afternoon, attend an Information Session on a variety topics followed by afternoon tea.

Bus Trips

Bus outings are held bi-monthly and usually involve a scenic drive to a location of interest and lunch.

Barker Blokes

The Barker Blokes enjoy lunch and an outing every one to two months for food, friendship and a chance to catch up with other blokes.

Spotlight Sessions

These sessions put local commuity groups in "the spotlight". Find out what is happening in the community. You might want to join a group or two.

Shopping Support

A volunteer can support you to shop locally if you are unable to access other transport supports for your shopping.

Home Visits

A volunteer can socially visit with you in your home if you are unable to access outings and groups in the community.

Who can we assist?

Any of the following who require assistance to connect to the community:

* frail, elderly people living in their own homes
* people of all ages who have a disability
* people who may care for or look after someone who is aged or has a disability

What do services cost?

Fees are kept to a minimum for all outings and trips and may include the cost for entrance, a meal, transport etc.

How do I apply?

* You can apply in person at the Local Government Centre situated at the Homemaker Centre at 6 Dutton Road Mount Barker or tel. (08) 8391 7234.  If you are aged 65 or over, you will need to register with the Commonwealth Government's My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.  Staff can assist you to apply if required.
* Family or friends can apply on your behalf
* You can be referred by a Health Practitioner

Funded by the State Department of Human Services, the Australian Government Department of Health and Mount Barker District Council.

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment:

  1. Contact us through the National Relay Service website
  2. Give the National Relay Service our number – 8391 7234

For more information, visit:

Diversity Statement

The Community Programs Unit of Mount Barker District Council acknowledges the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We aim to deliver our services in a way that respects and welcomes diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences.