Changes to local speed limits
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport have approved Council’s proactive changes to speed limits along sections of Bald Hills Road and Springs Road in Mount Barker.
Initial requests were from local residents to lower the speed limit to address safer pedestrian access to Laratinga Wetland from Springs Rd and children cycling along Springs Road to local school(s).
A new pedestrian crossing is planned to be installed at Springs Rd to provide safe access to Laratinga Wetland.
Speed limits will be lowered from 80 to 60kph on roads surrounding Laratinga Wetland.
- Springs Road (from Bald Hills Rd to Karkoo Ct)
- Bald Hills Road (from Springs Rd to existing 50kph zone adjacent to the golf course) ) with the timing aligning with new trail connections
Facts about safer speed limits:
- A proactive approach is to make roads safer for all users instead of waiting for a crash to occur
- Lowering speed limits provides safer roads for all road users and helps reduce vehicle noise for adjacent residential areas.
- Cost to society for an injury crash is approx. $1.5 million (sadly a fatality is $3million)
- Council does not receive any income from speeding fines
- All locations comply with standards and guidelines (Australian Standard and SA Government guidelines on speed limits)
- Lowering speed limits will comply with future planned footpaths and share use trails connecting the Regional Sports Hub with Laratinga Wetland and through to Springs Road