Hahndorf to welcome Queen’s Baton in lead up to Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
The eyes of the Commonwealth will be on Hahndorf on 21st February 2018 as the Baton journeys towards its final destination, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony (GC2018) on 4 April 2018. Local legends are being called on to carry the Queen’s Baton in Hahndorf as it prepares to host the Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR). A community nomination program, which opens today, will offer the people of Hahndorf and the surrounding Mount Barker District with an opportunity to carry the Baton.
Wish to nominate a baton bearer?
Nominations, from any member of the community, of worthy 'baton bearers' can be made until 15 May 2017. Nominations can be made at www.gc2018.com/qbr
“We’re delighted to be a part of an event that will take Hahndorf to the world and I encourage you to nominate a local legend you think deserves to be a baton bearer, whether they’re an aspiring young person or someone who is already accomplished in their own right”, said Mayor Ann Ferguson. GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture or charity within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).